Friday, October 7, 2011

Cow-date

I've never been much for the cowboy way of life. Growing up I found opportunity to make fun of it and as a direct result, God directed my path to a mission for the LDS Church in Texas. There I spent two years learning to appreciate the peacefulness and even charm of simple living. But after that, I came back home and picked right back up where I left off in looking at cow-anything (except hamburger) with a sideways glance.

So when Emily shared with me an invitation to a Daddy-daughter cowboy event at the Church, I was a little apprehensive. But this wasn't just a social engagement I could find some excuse to skip - this was a date with my daughter that she was really looking forward to. The risk of disappointing Em was even strong enough to motivate me to attend when I heard that there would be line dancing associated with this. And THEN Alicia bought both Em and I a costume cowboy hat too (I think she was just rubbing it in).

So we went. I tried as best I could to forget how uncomfortable I was and just try to enjoy it through Em. That wasn't hard to do. She and I got our picture taken on some hay bales outside the building and I saw how happy she was. Then in the talent museum, she proudly displayed one of her drawings to me. At dinner she giggled and laughed as she joked with her friends sitting nearby. And then finally, at the dancing part she happily participated in learning the steps until she was good enough to where I was watching her steps for guidance instead of the instructor.

Before we knew it, we were both having a great time. We came home and I think Alicia was a little shocked to hear that I enjoyed the evening - and that dancing with Emily was my favorite part. It was a great experience that I hope we both remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment