Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mistakes are Goldmines

There have been times in my life when I have made mistakes (usually selfish behavior that hurts others), felt some degree of remorse, tried to correct the mistake and then move on with greater determination and strength. That cycle is often very difficult but if I choose to learn and apply, they can make me a better person.

Faith in Jesus Christ is a great help in this. I have faith that he can heal the personal effects of mistakes - whether they be mine or someone else's. I've seen three ways so far that His teachings provide greater context and meaning to life. First, eternal progression. One of the main doctrines of Christianity is that death is not the end of this life. The LDS faith adds another layer to that in stating that the purpose of our existence - both body and soul - is to eternally learn and develop. All that we experience in life is meant to contribute to that overall purpose. This is reflected in a verse from the Book of Mormon: "...Thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain." (2 Nephi 2:2) This gives mistakes meaning and, if overcome, they become an investment in our eternal identity.

Which brings me to another point of Christianity which helps me - the doctrine that I am a spirit child of God. Because I was created in His image, I have seeds of His greatness in me. If all I had were my own experiences, thoughts, and desires then I wouldn't have much to stand on. But I'm better than that and I feel it. I feel that I have potential and talents that God has given me and that drives me forward.

Finally, His love. I know He lives and loves me because I have felt it. This love creates a sort of divine assistance that provides encouragement and strength in times of weakness and affliction. It motivates me to keep going and try harder to be a good man.

These three things, eternal progression, personal divine identity, and God's love unfetter my life from mistakes that would otherwise be laborious and decaying to happiness. Overcoming mistakes through these perspectives propels me higher, farther and better than I would have had I never made the mistake at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment