Thursday, July 7, 2011

Being With the Team

In the context of all the stressing out I've been doing about my job lately, it was really nice to spend some fun time with the team today. We have a monthly goal setting and for the first time in three months we finally made it to our team goal so we had a BBQ up on the roof of our office building to celebrate. Additionally, we also had a music competition. There were about 8 acts that performed everything from joke songs to original compositions.

After it was all done, I noticed that I felt differently. The whole atmosphere in the office felt better. People were laughing, talking and planning a little more than they usually do. It's very difficult to justify little breathers like this in a business sense but experiences like these illustrate that there is something to the principles of team celebration, and getting to know each other better in a personal way - not just a business way.

In fact, I think that might be the key reason why this was good therapy today. I saw people a little bit more as people today. I saw some of their talents and was able to interact with them in a non-business way. That interaction provided better context to the business interaction that followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment