Monday, March 14, 2011

Salt Lake City Panhandlers

I get asked for money 3-5 times a week as I walk the block and a half between my office building and the main Church Office Building in downtown Salt Lake City. Most times I don't have cash on me so I turn down the requests. My sister Tam works at the state liquor store and she tells me all kinds of stories about the downtown panhandlers and how they dash for the liquor store as soon as they get money. She calls this group of regulars the "Breakfast Club" because they're the ones waiting outside the store when they open. But there were two times recently when I bumped into a few people who were different.

One of them I saw today. I was waiting outside my building for Tam to pick me up and a guy walked up behind me and asked, "Do you have any money?" The question was a bit more direct and demanding than the usual panhandler. The usuals typically take a more sympathetic approach with the expressions on their faces or kinder words. I responded simply "No" and the guy continued to stare at me through narrow eyes. I got the sense that if I hadn't been on a very public street in broad daylight he would have tried to attack me. A few tense silent moments later he left and Tam arrived. As I told Tam about the encounter, we drove around the block for her to get a look at him as he cursed to himself angrily while walking down the sidewalk alone. Tam said that he was one of the new guys from out of town.

Another completely opposite experience was a few weeks ago. On a cold morning en route to the Church Office Building, I passed by a old woman wearing tattered scrubs, a thin coat and slippers. Her attire and tip-toe shuffle reminded me of Mom in her later years but I still passed her by. Something in me eventually stopped me in my tracks and caused me to turn around to greet her. I asked her if there was anything I could do for her.

"Oh no," she said. "I'm fine." I didn't believe her so I asked where she was going. She said she had just come from the shelter and was going to the Church Office Building to use the restroom. So I offered to walk her there since that's where I was going too. We talked about her working at Deseret Industries - an LDS Church owned thrift store in the area, the cold weather, and her upcoming move to Utah Valley. She said I reminded her of her brother in Colorado, which started us talking about her family. She said her name was Debbie. Then I showed her to the lobby of the Church Office Building where we parted company. I wished for something I could do to help her. I still do.

Today I felt like I was about to get mugged but a few weeks ago I felt like I was doing true service in befriending someone. It's quite a contrast but it's all part of working downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment