Monday, May 9, 2011

The No Train Date

I've been thinking more about what Alicia liked best about her Mother's Day and I've been realizing that these spontaneous moments where family members are focused on each other are really important. I don't want to miss these. So in this attitude I went on a date with Jace tonight and we had a wonderful time.

Because of his love for trains, we drove down to a nearby train track and hoped for one to come by. Pretty lame activity I suppose but what we really did was talk. I sat in the backseat with him and we talked about the train and would gasp every time we thought we heard one coming. In between gasps, we opened the sunroof on the van and stood up, straining to catch a better view into the horizon of the tracks. We also played a little train game on my phone and talked. Jace was really excited and happy tonight. It was an awesome evening of just focusing on him.

When we were done, we ran to the store to pick up a few groceries. He sat on my shoulders part of the time, and the rest of the time helped push the cart at a pace slightly unnerving for anyone in front of the cart (like me). Jace is usually reserved with strangers but when we were all done, he interrupted the usual check-out small talk to tell the cashier that he was on a date with his Dad. She smiled and told him to make sure he has a good time.

I think he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment