Thursday, May 12, 2011

Misaligned Feedback

I expect that every marriage has seasons of misunderstanding. This is especially true when a couple is trying to learn how to provide meaningful feedback to each other as Alicia and I did tonight. I had done some things that were not helpful to Alicia and she gave me feedback which I responded poorly to. For a good portion of our hour-long discussion, it felt like we were on opposite sides of understanding and even willingness to change. And then we started talking openly about how we both felt we should offer and receive feedback and correction from the other. The tone of the conversation turned at that point as we identified ways we could improve and committed to each other that we would try again. The whole conversation ended very positively with greater understanding of each other and commitment to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment