Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Right Harbor

There has been a perplexing problem at work lately. The team I lead is made up of several small teams. Two of them are geographically removed from me and the rest of the portfolio and one of these two teams has had some recent missteps and as a result my trust in them has diminished to the point where I needed to talk with them and the customer that they support about discontinuing that team. Trust between the customer and the department for which I work hasn't been strong over the years so this conversation had lots of baggage.

I've had a difficult time approaching conversations that I know are going to result in an emotional reaction but I'm learning that if correction is needed, an initial negative reaction is not only likely but often good. That reaction can lead to a greater buy-in and high performance in the end. I'm learning that the measurement of success in confronting issues isn't a calm sea for the entire voyage, it's reaching the right harbor over the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment