Sunday, September 18, 2011

Renewed Faith

Most weeks when we visit Dad in his care facility, the whole family comes. But today I was there alone. This provided an opportunity for me to sit down with Dad and talk in a more focused way. We talked the small stuff and then I talked to him about how I was concerned with how he was doing. According to Susan, he's been a bit depressed lately - even to the point of planning out his funeral.

In the middle of this conversation, a few men in suits showed up. They introduced themselves as a former Church leader (Bishop), a neighbor, and a current Church leader (Stake President). Dad was very happy to see them. The neighbor was very encouraging to Dad. He talked about his daughter who suffered an aneurism in her brain three years ago and lost her motor skills. Since that time, she' has recovered nearly 85% - enough that she is able to attend college in another state independently. He urged Dad to be patient and hopeful.

Then the Stake President spoke up saying the he understood that Dad wanted a blessing. Dad verified this and we wheeled his chair from the patio to his room where these three men and I stood around Dad with hands on his head to offer the blessing. The Stake President gave the blessing. He said Dad can find meaning for this challenge by looking at it through an eternal perspective. He acknowledged that Dad has had a lifetime of serving and now he is presented with the opportunity to accept service from others. And finally he promised Dad healing as he (and others around him) exercise faith in Jesus Christ.

I was impressed by the service that was offered and the uplifting, hopeful and faith inspiring messages that were shared. The men left after a few more minutes of talking and then Dad and I spoke a bit more. I remembered a scripture I read a few weeks earlier and shared it with him.

"Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name’s glory, saith the Lord." - D&C 98:3

So I asked him what good he's seen. He responded that he's learned more about the power of prayer. He cited how this has helped Susan to grow and learn. And he said that he's received confirmation about the love of his family.

Seems like whatever the experience, good or bad, there is always some healing or teaching purpose in it. That's the way I felt about Mom. The trick is have faith that it's there and then simply to find it.

My faith in Dad's recovery is renewed from my last post about it. And even if he doesn't get back to the goal he mentioned tonight of being able to walk back into Church, there's healing and learning in this - I'm sure of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment