Sunday, February 13, 2011

Earthquake and Tension

In the middle of the night we experienced an earthquake. It was a small earthquake - about 2.8 - and it's epicenter was just south of the development in which we live. Both Alicia and I were awakened from deep sleep when we felt and heard it.

For the next hour or so, I was preoccupied with thoughts about how ill-prepared we are for something like this. I began to get worried about how well I'm providing for the family and after I slept a few more hours. I poured over our finances to try to find a way to reduce our debt and increase our savings and emergency preparedness.

I was so intent on fixing this problem that I didn't collaborate much with Alicia about it. As a result, she felt forced into the financial decisions I was making and she was hurt as an outcome.

The day ended poorly with tension between us - although apologies had been expressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment