Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Job to Help People

I love my job. And a big part of what I love is in helping people. My days are often spent in meetings or specific organziational tasks and sometimes it gets so busy that I my monthly one-on-one meetings with my team (24 and counting) can feel like a nuisance but when I do those and I listen to what people are needing and then advise, help, council or get things done for them, it's wonderful.

Today I listened to concerns voiced by one team member regarding a plan I had initiated. Based on his valuable feedback, I was presented with a different perspective and as a result changed the plan of action. This course correction felt very right and would never have happened if that individual didn't speak up and I didn't listen.

And a few days ago, I listened to the concerns of another team member who was worried about her job status. I could see it was a big deal for her so I stepped out of the interview to talk to the person who could clear it up for her, resolved it and reported back to her. She was so happy and releaved that she started crying.

Pretty cool job.

No comments:

Post a Comment