Sunday, November 27, 2011

Preparing for a Good Flight

It feels like I'm being pulled in two different directions. Ever since I've taken this position as a lead of a portfolio of people doing media work I have often felt under qualified to do the job well. That has forced me to my knees to ask God for help. As a result, I have grown in my relationship with him. That's the pull up that I feel.

But I also feel a pull to developing talents that gather more dust the more years I focus on doing managerial work. It feels like I'm growing tremendously in my relationship to heaven but not so much in my talents and skills in the service of others. That's the pull over. Similar to a plane that needs forward momentum in order to have the lift needed to fly to new altitudes. I feel like I'm on a steep incline in the skies as I try to depend on the Lord but I'm not growing in my talents and skills and sooner or later, I'll stall.

So I've been thinking about talents lately and what I can do to sharpen them. I made a little list of some talents that I'm interested in developing:

  • Charity
  • Loving kids
  • Storytelling
  • Encouraging
  • Organizing
  • Planning
  • Making peace
  • Baking
  • Presentation
  • Design
  • Animating
  • Drawing
  • Listening
  • Compassion
  • Presentation
  • Exercising faith
  • Creating happiness
  • Giving clear feedback
  • Courage to do what's right, whatever the cost
  • Instructional design for children
  • Effective communication
  • Writing
  • Design management
That's the forward momentum. If I develop these in the service of others and couple that with a strengthening relationship with God. I can really get somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment