Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Leadership Learnings

I haven't aspired to be a leader but ever since I've started this job, I've loved the challenge and weight of the  assignment. I feel responsible for these 37 people on my team and that motivates me to different levels of thinking and preparation on their behalf. I often think of the movie U-571 when I think about leadership. In the film, a rookie leader is asked to take on the command of a submarine. In one critical moment of tension, he admits to his crew that he doesn't know what to do. Later a seasoned sailor gives him advise to never admit to such weakness. He encouraged the leader to make decisions - even tough decisions like putting someone in harm's way to save the crew - and then stand by those decisions.

There are many times that I don't know the answer. And there are times when I openly admit that. However, I'm learning a few things about leadership decision making.

  • First, making a decision is better than committing to no answer at all. Most decisions are small and if the wrong turn was taken, course correction is possible later. And, after it's all said and done many things that seem ginormous in importance in the moment are really not that heavy when put into perspective.
  • Second, I ask for council too often because I don't know the answer or need support in making a difficult decision. In this respect, I sometimes use council as a crutch and not as an opportunity to invite group thought and discussion. Better yet, I should use it as a way to invite participation and train other leaders.
  • Third, saying I don't know when the world rests on your shoulders is not acceptable. However, if you happen to believe in a force for good bigger than yourself and you believe that this force will teach you and help you know what to do. And those you lead also believe this then saying I don't know is inspiring when it leads people to ask for greater help.
This last bit is something I would never be able to do if I did not work for a religious organization with shared values amongst its workforce. I love this aspect of openness at my job. I'm a leader of a business unit within the LDS Church but in some respects, I also lead my team in some spiritual aspects as well. Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment