Monday, June 13, 2011

Temple Square with Claire

The whole family packed in the van and drove to Salt Lake today to have a late lunch up here at my office. With Ben crawling around my office floor, the other kids sat at my office table and had peanut butter sandwiches and chips. As we were eating, I told them a bit how my current office building was going to be demolished in a few month. After I assured them that I would move out of the building first, we watched a few videos on YouTube of building implosions. They were riveted. Whenever my kids pay that much attention, they usually talk more about it or attach fears to what they saw in the following days. I'm not sure what will come of it but I do know that they seemed kind of sad that Daddy's building was going to go away - like they were mourning the loss of a cat or something. I had no idea they were so attached.

The family left and I kept Claire with me. We had arranged for Claire and I to have our date at Daddy's work so we walked around Temple Square, smelled about 15 flowers together, said hi to the missionaries there, and looked at the Christus statue. She and I talked a bit about Christ and then caught the bus back home. Claire sat next to me on the express bus seating and watched out the window as the city passed. Her usual seat in the van doesn't position her head high enough to see out the window but the bus gave her a full view. She then discovered that there were light buttons overhead that she could push so we turned those on and off repeatedly until we finally got on the freeway and she settled in with me to watch "Megamind" on my laptop.

It occurs to me that this time while my kids are young is so vital. Their minds are so active, curious and absorbent that it's a great time to help them know of my love and teach them things that are so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment