Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Curse of Saturdays

No matter how good my planning is it seems that we don't get as much done on Saturday as we'd like. And when Alicia and I realize that everything can't be done, we have to make difficult decisions about what we focus on. This is where any slight differentiation in priorities will become apparent. For example, I want to do things on Saturday that will contribute to the furthering of the eternal goal of getting the yard done, and Alicia often would prefer time go to maintaining that which we have in the front yard or in making the backyard more presentable by cutting down weeds or removing trash. This difference in thinking comes up every week and we usually do some sort of compromise.

I wish it were possible to do it all! I'm so anxious to have that blasted backyard finished and I also understand also the need for maintaing. It's really easy for me to want new things, a bigger house, an awesome yard, another car, etc., etc.. But I've realized recently that anytime we add something new, we add a new burden of maintenance of that thing to our time (mostly on Saturdays) and our budgets. After so many disappointing Saturdays, the reality of this maintenance on that which we already have is becoming a mental deterrent on the idea of getting new things - it's even making me wonder about getting rid of some of our current stuff.

So in the midst of this forest of maintaining things we have, I realized that if the yard is to be finished with it's new grading and retaining wall by the end of the summer, I'll need to take a few days off of work to get it done. Saturdays just aren't working for the amount of work there is to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment