Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Corporate Immune System

I had to defend the celebrate success mobile today. There is a potential tour of the office spaces from our upper leadership on Friday and the casual character of the mobile and the associated small trophy of a lego guy was challenged by my boss. As I mentioned in the post linked above, I've seen great motivating and unity emerge from this little thing. So in the face of his directive to stop, I spent an hour with my boss illustrating its benefits. At the end of the discussion, he and I agreed to keep it going for another month or two and measure whether it's making the intended difference.

Generally, my boss is very supportive of new ideas and I'm grateful for that. It's liberating to have the flexibility to look at new ways to try to achieve the objectives of great products, satisfied customers, and fantastic teams. But sometimes my ideas and the ideas of my team raise a few eyebrows in the long-established culture of Church headquarters. My boss is concerned that too many people are starting to think of the team that I lead as "that team" because we're so different. The part of the story that also needs to be told is that we're different but we're also effective. We've showed strongly in our key metrics and continue to to climb as one of the top teams in the department.

I believe that cultural tactics like the mobile, the lego guys, meetings, reminders, and many other things are a large part of our performance. Now I need to make sure that my belief is correct and then keep others outside of the team aware of our successes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment