Thursday, April 28, 2011

Amazing What a Dinner and Movie Can Fix

Ethan began the day resisting his Mother's requests to get ready for school. Alicia punished him, Ethan resisted more, Alicia punished, resistance, punishment and on and on until this afternoon there were no punishments left. I got a call at work from Alicia and she was sobbing so hard that she could hardly speak. I excused myself from the one on one I was having and told Alicia that I would be home as soon as possible.

When I arrived home, they were on opposite sides of the house. It was clear that Alicia was deeply hurt. I also suspected that Ethan was feeling like a very bad boy. They both needed some way to show an increase of love towards each other. I suggested that they go on a date together. Alicia resisted at first but I assured her that she needed some fun, reconnecting time with him. And Ethan needed it too. She finally agreed. When I told Ethan that he would be going on a date with Mom, he lit up. "Really?" He hopped off the couch and did one of his fastest getting ready's that I've seen.

When they came home they reported that they had gone to dinner and a movie and had a great time. That was evident from the pictures they took. It was heartwarming to see a day filled with such negative things end on such a positive note. Alicia loves Ethan deeply - more than I know. And Ethan loves his Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment